Max, our little bundle of joy, is a “rainbow baby”. A “rainbow baby” is a baby that is born following a miscarriage or still birth. In the real world, a beautiful and bright rainbow follows a storm and gives hope of things getting better. The rainbow is more appreciated having just experienced the storm in comparison.
Since Luke’s arrival 4 years ago we’ve had to go through the loss of 4 pregnancies. I only tend to get emotional about these at certain times, and I am a strong believer in the fact that it’s nature at work.
So when we found out that Max was ‘sticking’ around I knew that I wanted to knit some “rainbow” related things, in particular this baby blanket.
I used this pattern, which was a fantastically easy pattern. I know it looks very complicated, but it’s actually really straightforward to knit. The effect though, is brilliant!
I decided to knit this up as a cotton blanket, using DROPS Muskat, as I had plans for a woollen one with different colours. I decided on these particular colours as they show the wonderful gradient of a rainbow.
I also made the blanket extra large, so I am not sure I can actually call it a baby blanket. I wanted to make sure that Max can use it for a fairly long time, especially as the blanket I made for Luke is now very small and he’s just rediscovered it for his use.
A friend from the German group I used to take Luke to asked me to knit a couple of dresses for a friends twin girls. This gave me an opportunity to look for a new pattern.
I loved knitting this pattern, it was really easy to knit and really quick. I used double yarn of DROPS Safran, a cotton yarn. The pattern is really well written and easy to follow. While it called for other yarn, I found using this combination worked really well and it resulted in the right size of dress.
As the dresses were for twin girls I wanted to keep the colours similar, but with a little bit of a difference. I am a twin myself (I have a twin brother) and even though my mum never dressed us in the same clothes, I still think twins need to assert their individuality. And why shouldn’t that start when they are still toddlers?
In January this year a good friend asked me to make her a hat that she could get her ponytail through and could also pull down to her neck like a cowl. So I started thinking and came up with this design.
My friend picked the colour and she decided on cotton, as she finds wool too scratchy and too hot. I decided on using a cable pattern, which makes it especially pretty I think.
I knitted holes for the string at the top of the hat to thread through the cord, see the pictures below.
My friend loved the hat/cowl and used it on a trip to Iceland a few weeks after I finished it for her.
In July 2013 I decided to make myself a cotton T-Shirt, using this DROPS pattern.
I picked this DROPS Muskat green as that colour always looked good on me, and I really love it. Some of these pictures don’t really do the colour justice, could be the sunlight.
It’s a great pattern, very easy to knit and I love the lace pattern on the neckline.
However, when I had finished it and tried it on unfortunately the arms didn’t fit at all. They were way too tight. I used the right sizing for the pattern and all the measurements where right when I was finished, but they were just too tight.
So instead I gifted it to my mum. And she loves it! Although I’ve not yet seen her wearing it.
But I do love, love, love the lace pattern at the neckline.
Our due date is fast approaching, it’s this coming Wednesday: 9th February. But there’s no sign of baby yet…I’ve been walking loads the last few days, and I’m sure that it’s helping, but who knows! In the meantime, I’m keeping myself busy with some knitting (what else is a girl to do?) I finished these Summer overalls over the weekend and am really pleased with them.
It’s from a pattern over at Garnstudio and was a real pleasure to knit. I’m also pleased with the fact that I was able to use some of my leftover Safran yarn, which I’d been using for bonnets, socks and blankets. That’s why there are a few different colours in these overalls, but I do actually think it worked out really well.
I made the overalls in a 3-6 months size so that baby Prasad can be wearing it during the Summer, now we just have to hope for a hot Summer. The pattern is so easy to knit because it’s really straight forward, apart from the moss stitch at the edges of the legs, arms and the collar it’s basically just straight forward stockinette stitch.
The opening in the legs works well and I had some nice buttons that I was able to use here.
I think overall the colours work very well together and I especially like the contrast with the pinks in the sleeves and legs, it just gives the overalls that extra ‘je ne se quas’!